When people ask me why I’m running against Martin Heinrich for U.S. Senate, or why I criticize him, it tells me they don’t know who Martin Heinrich is.
I’m running to unseat Martin Heinrich because he is ineffective, uncaring, and damaging to our state. If he were not, I would not oppose him.
Martin Heinrich has served nine years in Congress. During that time, New Mexico has suffered.
– New Mexico has the highest unemployment rate in America.
– We are the only state in the Southwest with net outmigration, as people move away for jobs.
– We have the worst property crime in America, and one of the worst violent crime rates.
– We are worst in child hunger and second worst in overall poverty.
– We have one of America’s highest rates of people dependent on government assistance.
– We have one of America’s worst high school graduation rates.
– Martin Heinrich is ranked by nonpartisan groups as the least effective Democratic Senator.
I could go on.
– Martin Heinrich rarely visits New Mexico, unless he is campaigning for re-election.
– 94 percent of Heinrich’s votes support the positions of Democratic leaders Nancy Pelosi (California) and Chuck Schumer (New York). California and New York are highly populated coastal states whose needs are very different from New Mexico’s. Buy putting his own political career aspirations above the needs of his state, Heinrich has earned the nickname, “California’s third Senator.”
– Though Heinrich introduces few pieces of legislation, 63 percent of all his sponsored or co-sponsored bills involve either the environment or renewable energy. His voting record shows that he views himself as an environmental Senator, not New Mexico’s Senator.
– Heinrich consistently opposes New Mexico’s oil, gas, and mining industries, which has led to the loss of thousands of good-paying jobs. These industries provide more than 30 percent of New Mexico’s general operating revenues, which pay for teachers, school breakfasts and lunches, and anti-poverty programs.
– Heinrich stood by as New Mexico’s Air National Guard lost its airplanes. He does not vigorously defend and advance the missions of New Mexico’s three Air Force bases, which provide vital jobs to the surrounding communities.
– Heinrich has failed every New Mexico Senator’s duty to ensure that our two national labs have clear missions that are properly funded. Our labs are not only two of the state’s biggest employers, they attract high-skilled workers who create more jobs.
– Heinrich continues to steal jobs from hard-working rural New Mexicans, by making our public lands off limits to firewood and Christmas tree harvesting, hunting, and other uses that have supported New Mexico’s families for generations.
– Heinrich has publicly snubbed or opposed the confirmation of top cabinet secretaries, including Energy Secretary Rick Perry and Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson.
How I Will Be a Better Senator than Martin Heinrich
– I will focus on creating and protecting good-paying jobs that support families, as well as opportunities for our young people, so our best and brightest do not have to abandon their home state to survive.
– I will work with the Departments of Defense and Energy to protect, fund, and advance the missions of our military bases and federal labs.
– I will keep alive our long tradition of hard-working ranchers, farmers, and others being able to earn a living and support their families, while still being good stewards of our federal lands.
– I will support New Mexico’s oil, gas, and mining industries, for the jobs they create and the state operating revenues they produce.
– I will support all efforts to secure our southern border, to end the flow of drugs, drug gangs and crime that have entrenched themselves along the I-25 corridor and made all our communities less healthy and less safe.
And that’s just a start.