Amidst this week’s chatter about the misdeeds of politicians, celebrities, and news media, there is the occasional heartwarming story of a U.S. military service member who was able to make a surprise visit home for the holidays.
Those stories help put my Thanksgiving into perspective. They cause me to stop and ponder all I am thankful for:
- I am thankful for my Lord and Savior, Jesus, the Christ. It is to Him we give thanks, because it is from Him that all our blessings flow.
- I am thankful that I was born in the United States of America, land of the free. We remember the pilgrims this week because their search for religious liberty brought them to our shores almost 400 years ago.
- I am thankful for my college sweetheart and wife, Marion, who wed me 35 years ago, and who has stuck by me through thick and thin.
- I am thankful for our four wonderful adult children, Audrey, Jim, Grace, and Margaret, all of whom are healthy and leading productive lives with purpose.
- I am thankful for the opportunity to grow a company with the help of our dedicated, loyal employees.
- I am thankful for the dozens of communities throughout New Mexico that have invited us to be part of their lives by building there.
- I am thankful for the opportunity to represent the people of our state in the United States Senate, and for the support and encouragement of so many people like you.
A fuller accounting of my blessings would require much more than a blog post. I hope that you share my feelings of blessedness, and that your list of thanks is long.
May you and your loved ones enjoy peace and abundance this Thanksgiving.